Thursday, April 19, 2012

New Battle, New Ground

I know this may sound a little crazy but I want to congratulate you if you are entering into a new battle today or if you have been fighting a new one this year. The emergence of a new battle signifies your chance to allow God to help you conquer new ground. When we have found hope in Jesus Christ, our desire should be to allow God to expand our territory in Him. In II Chronicles 4:10, Jabez prayed and asked God to expand his territory. It reads, "Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, 'Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.' And God granted his request."


What do I mean by a new battle? A new battle can be an issue in your life that is causing some struggle that you have never experienced before. It can also be an old issue that you are struggling with in a different way or from a different angle. We must understand that winning a war begins with understanding the battles within that war.


I believe a warning sign of spiritual stagnation is when you find yourself fighting the same battle over and over again. This means that you are not conquering new ground but have failed to have victory over the current struggle. Sadly, many of us choose to accept these battles which become familiar parts of our lives instead of memories of the past.


Celebrating battles is not a part of our cultural norm. Mostly, people seek to find a place of peace, calm, and comfort. Sometimes, in order to secure peace in some areas or to get to the place in God that you have been called, you will have to endure some struggle and fight battles. True peace comes at a price. The wisest man who ever lived, King Solomon noted in Ecclesiates 3:8 that there is a time for war and a time for peace. Ladies and Gentlemen, we are at war. We have an enemy who would love to kill, steal, and destroy everything in our lives and we cannot allow ourselves to bow down to his attempts. We must fight and put ourselves in a position to win.

Now, I have been guilty of complaining to God when a new battle has emerged in my life. I have been ignorant of the fact that a new battle symbolizes a great opportunity for spiritual growth. I consistently cried out to God that I want more from Him and I want to go to a new level in him but when the process began I start whining. Lord why? This is uncomfortable, how much longer? I don't mind saying that I was one to run from the heat of a battle. I sought to keep peace around me constantly, but that effort actually goes against the word of God. Let's not be afraid and run from battle. When we find security in God, we can face any battle head on.



The story of Caleb in Joshua chapter 14 highlights the importance of exhibiting patience, courage, and faith when facing a new battle. When Caleb was 40 years old, by faith he spoke of the land that God promised the Israelites while the other men Moses sent out to survey the land spoke fear and doubt. God then promised Caleb that he would be given an allotment of that land. It was 45 years later and Caleb kept himself in great shape. With God he conquered the nations who were on the land God promised Him. Joshua 14: 10-12 reads, 10 “Now then, just as the LORD promised, he has kept me alive for forty-five years since the time he said this to Moses, while Israel moved about in the wilderness. So here I am today, eighty-five years old! 11 I am still as strong today as the day Moses sent me out; I’m just as vigorous to go out to battle now as I was then. 12 Now give me this hill country that the LORD promised me that day. You yourself heard then that the Anakites were there and their cities were large and fortified, but, the LORD helping me, I will drive them out just as he said.”  

We have to take heart in the promises of God, but understand that God has given us all we need to take new ground. It is up to us to change the way we view our battles and allow God to help us win. Be encouraged, you are more powerful than you know and with God all things are possible. On the other end of the battle is the promise God has for you. Continue to be persistent and tenacious to see glorious results.



Copyright (c) 2012. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment