Monday, May 14, 2012

Catch Your Breath




"I bless God every chance I get; my lungs expand with his praise.  I live and breathe God; if things aren't going well, hear this and be happy: ... Open your mouth and taste, open your eyes and see— how good God is. Blessed are you who run to him. Worship God if you want the best; worship opens doors to all his goodness. ...Is anyone crying for help? God is listening, ready to rescue you. If your heart is broken, you'll find God right there; if you're kicked in the gut, he'll help you catch your breath." - Psalm 34: 1-2, 9, 18 (Message)

One of the hardest things to do is to lift your hands and acknowledge the goodness of God in the midst of misery and despair. For our flesh, it almost feels like a contrary action.  In the past, I have often questioned why I should do anything positive when I feel so horrible? I know what it is like to feel down in the dumps and so low that you don't want to get out of the bed in the morning. There is nothing more terrifying than when the world that you knew and loved is seemingly turned upside down. Nothing seems familiar any more and in a short period, a piece of your identity seems torn apart. In my time of hurt and pain, God let me know that nothing about me had really changed. My pain and my hurt was a chance for me to grow to new heights and soar. Though it did not seem like it in the moment my pain shed light on the emergence of wonderful growth.  Keep in mind, our lives will always be shaped by the reality we choose to accept and the way we choose to perceive things.

What can we do when we come to a place of despair and pain? God wants us to know that such a place cannot persist in your life when He still reigns and is present. True despair is the absence of God. Though our seasons of deserts and valleys may seem horrific, in all actuality there are sure-fire weapons to use which will help us make our way through the valley. We don't have to live there. 

The answer: Philippians 4:4-7 reads, "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!  Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." WE MUST PRAISE GOD!! That is what's wonderful about being a child of God. When you believe, you can come to God with anything. I have come to God with tears pouring down my face in total desperation and submission. Sometimes it is in our pain that we are the most accessible to God. In those moments, I yield my will to God's will. Everything I think should happen goes out the window and I bow to God's purpose for my life. He always works it out for me and I know that He can work it out for you if you allow Him to.

Praise not only combats the lies of the enemy but it is crucial to our break through. Praise shatters our disbelief and unlocks our faith to believe that God remains despite what we see. It is that belief that empowers the will of God to be done in our lives. Psalm 46:2-3 reads, "God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. So we will not fear when earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea. Let the oceans roar and foam. Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge!"

There is a beautiful song I grew up singing at church that comes to mind. Fortunately, since I am writing a blog you do not get the misfortune of listening to me sing but the lyrics read as follows: "Praise the Lord, He can work through those who praise Him. Praise the Lord. For our God inhabits praise. Praise the Lord. For those chains that seem to bind you, serve only to remind you, they'll drop powerless behind you when you Praise Him."  When you praise God, the intensity of your troubles can't help but to quell. In praise God can open your heart to new revelation and new beginnings. God can take any negative issue in your life and use it for good. Nothing in your life has to be waisted. The pain of today will be your testimony of tomorrow. Pain does not have to become a familiar part of your life. Some people become so accustomed to pain and drama they begin to create it. 

You are not and never will be stuck with any pain or feeling. It is up to you to decide. Your actions in these moments are critical to your recovery. Open your heart to God. He is willing and waiting to mend your broken heart and renew your strength. Try to relax and allow God to catch your breath.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[a] have been called according to his purpose." - Romans 8:28


Copyright (c) 2012. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment