Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Spending Time With God

"She is like the ships of the merchant; she brings her food from afar. She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens. She considers a field and buys it; with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard." - Proverbs 31:14-16

Before my feet hit the floor every morning, my mind is bombarded with countless things that need to be done throughout my day. As new parents, my husband and I have a fresh taste of how absolutely rewarding and challenging raising a family can be. The day starts before the sun comes up and all of a sudden, we look up, and it's time to go to bed again.

When my son was born, I struggled with finding the time to spend time with God. Now that we have a another baby on the way, I find myself re-evaluating how much more time will be needed to devote to our family.  My time with God has drastically changed since I was single. There are so many things to do, in what seems like, so little time. As a mother, a working woman, a wife, etc., how do I carve out some meaningful time with God? I found King Solomon's statement in Ecclesiastes 3:1 to be true, "For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under the sun."

As we grow as women, the way we spend time with God should take on a whole new framework. The key is being okay with that. We must take care to prioritize the important issues of our life. If God has been given a low priority, it will adversely affect every area of your life, including your perspective. The purpose of this post is not to beat ourselves up over it and live in condemnation. The path that God has you on is vital to the Kingdom of God. If you are a  wife and/or a mother you have been entrusted with a ministry. God can speak to us through anything; even the hustle and bustle of a chaotic day. I have found several tips to help me stay connected:

1.  Quality vs Quantity: meditating on one scripture throughout the day; 
2. Finding Time Alone: listening to sermons on my way to work, or 
3. Worship: playing worship music as I spend time with my son and husband.
4. Prayer Time: Praying with my Husband. I also pray while I complete a household task or run errands.

Doing these things each day can be extremely beneficial to our intimate time with God. We don't have to compromise his presence because we are too busy. Ask God to help you carve out some private time when you can get before him on your knees to hear what he has to say to you.

There is a way to his word and we must find it. Remember, our family is our ministry but if we do not feed our spirit, we won't have anything left to give them. Invest in a new study bible, write down one scripture a day or a week to meditate on so the word will constantly be in your heart. Ask God what he is trying to say to you in that scripture. Read the bible with your spouse and children at night.

I  want to encourage us today to continue to seek after his word despite what is going on in our lives. If you are feeling exhausted or empty, it may be that your spirit needs to be refueled with the word of God. Rest assure in the Proverbs 31 woman that you are. Our witness does not have to suffer due to the blessing of family but should be enhanced. When we allow God to shine in our private time, his Kingdom and our family reap the benefits.

COPYRIGHT (c) 2015. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment