Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Living With Scars

"The sun was rising as Jacob left Peniel, and he was limping because of the injury to his hip."  Genesis 32:31

When I was in 5th grade I had my first of five surgeries. I was born with a genetic bone disease which can cause deformity in the bones and discomfort if aggravated. To be expected, after each surgery, I was left with a scar; a constant reminder of what I had just experienced and endured. In time, I would find myself with visible scars on my left wrist and both ankles. 

I made up in my mind that I would not be ashamed of my scars. I would not try to hide them beneath clothing or accessories but instead I would embrace them and live my life despite their presence. I discovered that people would only pay attention to them if I did. It was very rare that someone brought them up without cause or reason. When I was asked, I was usually surprised by it but unmoved. I love my battle wounds. I learned to define them and refused to let my scars define me.

In life, we are often left with physical and emotional scars that remind us of our journey and our pain.  Whether someone hurt us or we inflicted injury on ourselves, each of us carries some sort of remnants of our circumstances.We must take care not to mistake a scar for an open wound. We must make time to heal and Jesus Christ can help us through it all. 

 If we allow it, the incidences that are the source of our scars can propel us into the purpose and destiny God has for our lives. A scar is not necessarily an indication that something is wrong. It is a  reminder of complete healing. Though my surgeries took place years ago, my scars are proof that I came out victorious. God wants you to know, scars and all, He loves you and wants to use your life as a powerful testimony.

Unfortunately, some of us choose to allow our scars to cover up our story and blind us to what God has in store. We can find ourselves dwelling on the past and holding on to the hurt and the shame. We can choose joy over hurt and shame. Thank God, by His grace we have the choice to be renewed and set free. We do not have to be held captive by the circumstances of our lives. In His infinite wisdom, God grants us grace to use our pain for His glory (Romans 8:28). Our scars are proof of our victory. We should wear them proudly and embrace our journey. The best thing we can do is to fall in love with who God created us to be.

COPYRIGHT 2015. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


No comments:

Post a Comment